A wildfire believed to have been started by a dropped cigarette on Ben Lomond is raging on after crews were forced to abandon their efforts through the night.
The ongoing blaze on the west slope of the munro near Loch Lomond has been burning for around 18 hours now.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was first alerted to the blaze at 2.15pm on Tuesday, March 22.
Emergency services last night said they would return to the scene during daylight hours as firefighters has been working in “difficult terrain to extinguish the fire”.
In a post on social media, crews said they believe the 1km fire could possibly have been started by a dropped cigarette.
Alarming footage yesterday showed the 974-metre high mountain engulfed in smoke as clouds billow into the sky.
The fire has prevented access through the Ptarmigan path.
The Ben Lomond Ranger Service has told the public to avoid the area until further notice.
Posting a clip on Facebook on Tuesday, they said: “The fire is along a 1km front, all probably from one dropped cigarette.
“It is going to take a lot of work to put out. Please share to spread awareness of the need to take care with cigarettes.”
They added it was going to take “a lot of work” to put it out.
Locals have said that there wildfire started out small on Tuesday afternoon but had “gone mad” by yesterday evening.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We are receiving a lot of calls about a fire affecting grass on the west slope of Ben Lomond. We are aware of this incident.
“Our crews have been at the scene working in difficult terrain to extinguish the fire and will return during daylight hours.”
Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.