Yesterday, Deutsche County county commissioners voted to impose restrictions on public use to prevent human-caused fires on unprotected lands and all county-owned lands in the county. The restrictions will take effect immediately and will reflect restrictions in the Oregon Department of Forestry in Deutsche County.
Unauthorized lands are lands that are not part of the Rural Fire Protection District or are not protected by the Oregon Department of Forest Protection.
Landlords can visit maps.deschutes.org/custom/basic/PublicUseRestrictions.html to review the rules and see if they apply to their property.
The following restrictions are currently in effect:
- Smoking is prohibited except on vehicles on improved roads. Note: ORS 476.715 Prohibits the dumping of any lit tobacco, cigarettes, cigarettes, matches or other light material on any forest land, private road, public highway or railroad in this State.
- Except in designated areas, open fires, including fires, charcoal fires, cooking fires, and fires, are prohibited. Portable cooking stoves using liquid or bottled fuel are permitted.
- Chainsaws are prohibited from 1pm to 8pm. If the following fire extinguishers are available in each operation saw, the chainsaw may be used at any time: an ax, a shovel and an eight-ounce or more fire extinguisher. In addition, a fire hour is required at least one hour after the use of each saw.
- Cutting, grinding, and welding are prohibited from 1 a.m. to 8 p.m. At other times, the area will need to be cleaned of burnt vegetation and the following firefighting equipment: an ax, a shovel and a 2.5-pound or large fire extinguisher in good condition.
- The use of motor vehicles, including motorbikes and universal vehicles, is prohibited except on modified roads and landlords and landlords may use their own land on the basis of their livelihood.
- With the exception of federal and state highways, district roads and highways, you must carry the following fire extinguishers in a motor vehicle: one shovel and one gallon of water or one 2.5 pound or more fire extinguisher, except for all ground vehicles and in good working order. Motorcycles equipped with approved flash control.
- It is strictly forbidden to mow dry grass between 1am and 8pm, except for commercial crops and harvest crops.
- The use of fireworks is prohibited.
- It is forbidden to turn off the lights.
- Charging explosive targets or ammunition is prohibited.
- Any electrical enclosure in use must be identified: a) Listed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory or certified by the Department of Consumer and Business Services. And b) Works in compliance with manufacturer’s instructions.
Information and maps of the closed loops for the Oregon Department of Forestry oregon.gov/ODF/Fire/Pages/Restrictions.aspx.
Information and maps on public use restrictions in the Deschutes National Forest can be found at: fs.usda.gov/centraloregon.